Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Broccoli Salad

brocc1W
It seems that everyone else has been in on this secret: Broccoli Salad (with raisins and bacon) is absolutely delish. I've seen this salad at many potlucks, and have come across variations of the recipe many a time, but have always turned up my nose at it. I'm thinking, "Raw broccoli, with raisins..... bacon and mayo?! Ewww!" However, this past summer, I had the chance to taste this salad at my cousin's wedding reception. Actually, I helped make the salad the day before the reception. I figured that this worked on me the same way it works on a small child: If a child helps prepare dinner, he or she will be more likely to try it and like it.

I instantly fell in love with this salad at the reception, and was craving it last week, so I went for it. I consulted a few online recipes, and also looked in the cookbook my family members published recently (with recipes from many of my relatives). There were 3 recipes in there. I took certain things from all the recipes, adding my own touches here and there. Here is my version.

Broccoli Salad
adapted from recipes from a family cookbook 

5 cups fresh chopped broccoli
1/2 cup golden raisins or dried cranberries (my favorite)
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
5-6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled

Dressing:
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1/2 cup salted, chopped cashews

1.  Combine broccoli, raisins or cranberries, onion, and bacon. Whisk dressing ingredients together and toss with broccoli mixture. Just before serving, stir in cashews.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

2 comments:

Linda said...

One of my all-time favorite salads (except for the raisins ;) ) and one that I haven't made in years. Your version looks delish! Did your fam like it?

What a Dish! said...

I don't like raisins either, Linda, but I just put in a handful (of golden raisins) and it was good. My husband liked it, but the kids were put off by the raw onion.