Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Monkey Bread

I've been looking for a recipe for "Monkey Bread" forever, but have never been able to find what I'm looking for.  Buttery yeast rolls- baked together in a bundt pan.  There are plenty of recipes out there using refrigerated biscuit dough, and cinnamon/sugar, but I wanted one made from scratch (with yeast) and more buttery than sweet, and I definitely didn't want any cinnamon!  I was searching for a bread like my best friend's mom used to make, back when I was about 5 years old.  That was a while ago, so I may be making up this memory, but I remember coming to my friend's house after school and this hot monkey bread would be waiting for us.  It was delicious, but the biggest thing I remember about it was it's buttery-ness.

I found this recipe right in my own recipe box (well, one of the 5) when I was searching for something else.  It's from Taste of Home, and I had cut it out years ago, but never made it.  It's called "Buttery Bubble Bread" but that name is just awkward.  Luckily, the recipe author calls it "Monkey Bread" in her little blurb before the recipe.  Yay! 
This bread is perfect.  I used all butter and no shortening, and it is a LOT of butter.  I think because of this, it had a hard time rising.  I had to do 1-1/2 hours for the 1st rise.  I also used 1 cup white whole wheat flour in this recipe.  It baked up perfectly; the parts touching the pan were delicious- buttery crisp and golden brown.  The loaf easily pulled apart into individual rolls.  It was fun to see all the different shapes the rolls formed.

I suppose one could use any favorite roll recipes, and use the method of forming balls, dipping them into butter, and letting rise and then bake in a bundt pan, but I was really happy with this particular dough, and I'll definitely make this again, and very, very soon. 

Note: I made this again June 2012 and took new photos.  :)  Still a family favorite!  I also used my specialty Bundt pan and it worked out wonderfully. 

Monkey Bread
adapted from Taste of Home

1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup white whole wheat flour
3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons butter, melted

1.  In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, softened butter, egg, salt and white whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.

2.  Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. (I used my Kitchenaid for the mixing & kneading).  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.  (I let the dough rise in my oven with the oven light on).

3.  Punch dough down.  Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls, dip balls in the melted butter and arrange evenly in a greased 9-in. fluted tube pan. Drizzle with remaining butter. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.

4.  Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

Susie @ Hick Chick said...

YUM!!!!

Bethany said...

My childhood memories are filled with my grandma's delicious monkey bread. You are the first person I know, besides my family, that has heard of "savory" monkey bread. (For the record, we call the cinnamon-sugar variety cinnamon pull aparts). Anyway, my grandma used to roll her dough out and cut circles from it, dip the circles in butter, and then line them up in the bundt pan. Delicious!

What a Dish! said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers a more savory monkey bread! Cinnamon pull-aparts sound really good too, as long as nobody is calling that Monkey Bread. ;) Ha ha.

LadyJayPee said...

The sweet monkey bread recipes I've seen never appealed to me, but THIS does! I am salivating over that butter-dippin'!