Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My Mom's Spaghetti Sauce... With a Twist

Yesterday, I had no idea what to make for dinner, and on those nights, sometimes spaghetti comes to mind. I hadn't made it in forever, and I had everything on hand. I also had some things in the fridge that I needed to use up, so those went in, too. I had half of a smoked sausage (I think about 1/2 pound, but you could throw in more, or less), some fresh basil, and fresh parsley. I really liked the addition of the smoked sausage- I want to make spaghetti again using it. If you don't have fresh basil, use 1 tablespoon dried. We topped our servings with fresh-shredded Parmesan because I had it on hand..

I really like how thick and hearty this recipe is. Simmering for an hour does a lot to the flavor of the sauce. I've been making this for a long time; even before I really knew much about cooking.

Mom's Spaghetti Sauce.... With a Twist

1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 pound smoked sausage, diced
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3 15-oz. cans tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
pepper, to taste
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Hot cooked spaghetti noodles

1.  Brown ground beef with onion and garlic in large sauce pan. When beef is half-way done, add smoked sausage. Continue cooking until beef is no longer pink; drain any extra fat. Add tomato sauce along with the rest of ingredients, except spaghetti noodles. Simmer about one hour. (I cover my pan most of the way with a lid.) During the last few minutes of cooking time, add fresh basil and parsley. Remove bay leaf. Serve over hot cooked spaghetti; garnish with Parmesan.
*Sauce itself is gluten free.

** This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

2 comments:

Linda said...

Is the smoked sausage a local one or one like Eckrich? I like the idea of it!

What a Dish! said...

It's not a local one, Linda, it's a US brand. Any kind would be good, though!