Monday, December 7, 2009

Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream

ic1W
The other day, I started to make another batch of Nutella Gelato, but when I got my Nutella jar down, I realized I was almost out of Nutella.  So, I decided to use peanut butter instead.  I ended up adding some extra peanut butter, because the taste wasn't strong enough for me at first.  After making this in my ice cream maker, I stirred in some coarsley chopped Reeses PB Cups. 

I loved this ice cream- the texture was silky smooth; one of the smoothest, and creamiest ice creams I've ever made.  It didn't have the super heavy mouth feel that some ice creams can have.  I used natural peanut butter; I happened to have the no-stir kind on hand.  (Usually I use the kind that requires stirring.  I'm not sure if using that kind would change the texure). 

Note: I made this for my daughters birthday April 2014 and updated the pics.
ic6W
Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
by What a Dish!

2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup
4 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup coarsley chopped peanut butter cups

1. In a saucepan combine the milk, cream, and 1/2 cup sugar over medium heat. Cook until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whip the egg yolks with the remaining sugar using an electric mixer until the eggs have become thick and pale yellow, about 4 minutes. (A Kitchenaid is handy for this- I set mine near the stove). Pour 1/2 cup of the warm milk and cream mixture into the egg mixture and stir. Add this mixture back into the saucepan. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 3 to 7 minutes.  (160-170 degrees F on a candy or meat thermometer). 

3. Place a strainer over a medium bowl and pour the warm custard mixture through the strainer. Whisk in the vanilla and peanut buter until it dissolves. Chill mixture completely before pouring into an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions to freeze. Transer into a freezer-safe container, stir in chopped peanut butter cups, and freeze until hardened.
ic3W
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

3 comments:

Sonya said...

Oh man Im so jealous..I cant get peanut butter cups here! wat in the heck is wrong with my country? LOL This looks sooooo fabulous. I think I will make it anyway..I love your ice cream recipes!

What a Dish! said...

You could go all out and just make your own!!! Lol. If I did that though, I'd probably just want to eat them all and they'd never even make it to the ice cream. :)

Linda said...

You make the most luscious looking ice creams. What is the brand of your peanut butter?