Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

My son recieves a cute magazine subscription from one set of Grandparents- National Geographic Little Kid's Magazine.  He absolutely LOVES it, and every issue has great animal pictures, stories, games, science experiments, and a recipe!  This issue's recipe was for a "Shamrock Smoothie", using green ingredients to make a yummy green smoothie.  Our smoothie would have been even greener, had we had some fresh baby spinach like the recipe called for.  We made it as stated, just leaving our the spinach.  (Fresh spinach is almost impossible for me to find here- there are many other greens, but not tender baby spinach).  The kids LOVED it as an after-school snack today.  They also loved helping me to make it.

This is just the first of many green foods we will eat today- for dinner we will have this Artichoke Pesto Pasta, with our fave Lemon-Garlic broccoli, and I have a green dessert lined up too.  :)  Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Shamrock Smoothie
from National Geographic

1 peeled banana, sliced and frozen
1 cup frozen green grapes
1 peeled kiwi
1 cup washed baby spinach, optional
8 oz. lime yogurt (we used kiwi yogurt)
1/4 cup limeade

Put the frozen ingredients and kiwi and spinach into the bledner.  Add the yogurt and limeade.  Blend until smooth.  Pour the smoothie into glasses and serve immediately.  Makes 3 child-sized servings.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Sugar said...

Aw! How cute! I love your green food theme for the day! I think I subscribed to that magazine when I was little too and I remember loving it as well. Happy St. Patrick's Day!