Friday, July 1, 2011

Taco Rice

Taco Rice
I spotted this recipe in the Summer 2011 Penzey's Spice Catalog.  Besides offering spices for sale, they also feature different recipes using their spices.  This recipe uses thier taco seasoning, but I just used my own

This was very good!  I used brown rice, extra-lean ground beef (97% lean, I think), and light sour cream.  This was popular with the whole fam.  I put everything in separate bowls on the table, and everyone could dish up as much rice, meat, and toppings as they wanted.  I will definitely make this again.  Add whatever toppings you want; be creative!

Taco Rice is actually a Japanese dish, surprisingly!  Actually, it comes from Okinawa.  Check out this Wiki article.

(Update 3/18/2013: I've made this many times since I first posted it, and my whole fam loves this.  I took new photos last time.)
Taco Rice

Taco Rice

2-4 cups cooked rice (I used brown)
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
2-4 Tablespoons taco seasoning
3/4 cup water

Toppings:
salsa
shredded lettuce
shredded Cheddar cheese
chopped onion
sliced black olives
diced avocado
chopped tomatoes
sour cream

1.  Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add ground beef or turkey and cook for 5-10 minutes or until nice and browned, breaking it up into chunks and stirring to brown all sides.  Add the taco seasoning, cook, stirring, for a minute.  Add water, stir to combine, reduce heat to medium, and cook 8-10 minutes until most of the water has been cooked away but mixture is still saucy. 

2.  Serve the taco meat over rice, and top with any and all desired toppings.  Enjoy!
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**

3 comments:

Emily said...

What an easy meal idea! I'm going to try this with cilantro lime rice so it'll be like a burrito bowl from Chipotle. Thank you!

What a Dish! said...

Emily, what a GREAT idea to eat it over chipotle lime rice! Go you! :)

Linda said...

Oooo Dishy, even my picky Hubby would like this one! Minus all the toppings except lettuce. ;)

Beautiful photo.