Friday, March 30, 2012

No-Knead Focaccia Bread

This bread was so good and SO easy!  You just mix up a dough- more like a batter, but it uses yeast, and then spread the very wet dough into a 9x13 using a rubber spatula.  I live in a very humid climate, and both times I made this, I found that I did not need the whole amount of water called for.  The dough was very wet and loose even that way; if I had used the whole amount of water, I don't think this recipe would have worked.  So, just eyeball the amount of water- the dough is supposed to be wet, but not a puddle.  Lol. 
This is so quick, it literally took me about 5 minutes to mix up and spread into the pan.  It has a short rising time, too, and while it's rising, you mix up the topping.  The recipe calls for quick-rising yeast, but I only had regular on hand, and that worked fine.  The first time I made this, I had to leave the house for about 45 minutes, so it rose that whole time, and worked perfectly.  The second time I made this, I only let it rise for about 30 minutes and it was great that way too.  This recipe is so good and easy- I may never make "regular" focaccia again!  I think this would make a perfect meal with some Tomato-Basil Soup and a salad.

No-Knead Focaccia Bread
adapted from Home Cooking with Sonya

Bread:
3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour (can use 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
1 envelope yeast (2-1/4 tsp) (active dry OR quick-rising)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3-4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
1-2/3 cup warm water- may not use all of this- I used a little over 1 cup

Topping:
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2- 3/4 teaspoon dried onion or onion powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional (I did not use this)

1.  In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, salt and yeast.  While mixing, slowly pour in 2 tablespoons olive oil and warm water. Just add water until a wet, sticky dough is formed.  You may not need all the water.  Start with about 1 cup.  Mix until all ingredients are well combined. Transfer dough to a well greased 13x9 inch pan. Spread dough with a rubber spatula. Cover and let rise for 30 mins in a warm spot. (Make sure your plastic wrap has been lightly sprayed with nonstick spray so that the dough doesn't stick to it.)

2.  In a small bowl, combine seasonings and cheese. Set aside.

3.  After the first rise, poke holes in the dough with either lightly floured fingertips or a greased wooden spoon handle. Drizzle with remaining 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkles spice and cheese mixture evenly over the top. Allow dough to rise again for 15-30 minutes.

4.  While dough is rising the second time, preheat oven to 375 F or (190 C) and bake for 15-25 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack for 5-10 mins. 
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**/

4 comments:

Sonya said...

Yours looks AWESOME! it really is the easiest recipe ever..I have it on the menu to make yet again this week..lol

tracie c. said...

hi, popping over from sonya's blog. i wanted to see your pics of this bread. nice photos.
i keep making it can't get enough. you have a delightful blog!
tracie

What a Dish! said...

Thanks you so much! I looked at your blog too and it is very nice. I've made this bread 3 times now, lol!

www said...

This recipe is so easy, as you've said. I tried it. I prepared the dough in the same way you did, but I used different seasonings on top. Thank you very much!