Monday, June 11, 2012

Lebanese Chicken Skewers (Shish Tahouk) with Garlic Sauce

I LOVED this meal!!!  Very heavy on the garlic, but garlic is good for ya!  Chicken is marinated in spices, lemon, and garlic, and grilled.  The garlic sauce is 2 whole heads (!) of garlic with oil and lemon.  The garlic sauce was too strong for me, though, because the garlic is raw.  If you can, find Elephant garlic, which is not nearly as strong.  I wonder if this would still be authentic if I roasted the garlic first- I think I may try that next time!  (Roasting really mellows out the sharpness of garlic). 

We had this with Lebanese salad- Fatoosh- which I will post next.  We also had Grilled Naan Bread with this meal.  I'm really loving trying out more Middle-Eastern recipes- they are so flavorful and healthy! 
The kids didn't love this- I think because the cinnamon flavor is a little strong.  They love Indian food though, which has similar spices, so go figure.  Only my daughter tried the garlic sauce.  My whole kitchen smelled like garlic for a few days after this one!  Next time, I might try marinating this chicken in Lebanese 7-Spice mixture instead of just the cinnamon and paprika.  I made my own mixture from a recipe found online, which I will share some other time.  :)
Lebanese Chicken Skewers (Shish Tahouk) with Garlic Sauce
adapted from Taste Buddies

Chicken Shish Tahouk:
4 chicken breasts
6 crushed garlic cloves
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
Metal Skewers, OR wooden skewers soaked in water to prevent burning

1.  Cut the chicken into thin strips. Add chicken to a large non-reactive bowl (or large ziptop bag) along with the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, paprika, cinnamon and sea salt. Mix well to coat the chicken. Cover with plastic wrap (if using a bowl) and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

2.  Meanwhile, prepare the garlic sauce (instructions below).

3.  Skewer the chicken pieces.  Heat up the barbecue or a hot skillet and brush with a little olive oil. Cook chicken, until done, about 5 minutes on each side. Serve with garlic sauce.

Lebanese Garlic Sauce:
2 garlic bulbs
1/4 cup good quality olive oil
2 tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp sea salt

1.  Peel the garlic and place cloves in a blender. Add the lemon juice and start to blend. You may from time to time have stop and push the garlic down with a spoon if it sticks to the side. Add the salt and continue to blend.  (Try using an immersion blender- I didn't, but wish I had). 

2.  Add the olive oil in a slow stream while continuing to blend.The sauce should have the consistency of mayonnaise.  Cover and refrigerate sauce until serving time.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: