Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Strawberry-Blueberry Freezer Jam

I've already made two batches of freezer jam this summer; regular strawberry, and more recently, this Strawberry-Blueberry combination.  I really loved this one.  It's the first time I've been able to do blueberry successfully- I just didn't know what I was doing before, I think. 

I love eating this with plain Greek yogurt- shown above.  I always eat it with my granola, too.  It's always good on waffles or pancakes, as well, or just plain toast.

Yes, this jam has a lot of sugar, like many freezer jams.  I recently found some other pectin and it appears one can use less sugar with that, but I haven't used it yet.  My mom was nice enough to send me some SureJell pectin, and I've been happily using that.  So SureJell is what this recipe calls for.  If you want to make it with another brand, find another recipe, because this one probably won't work with another brand of pectin. 

Strawberry-Blueberry Freezer Jam
from Kraft

1-1/2 cups crushed fresh strawberries (measured after crushing)
cup crushed blueberries (measured after crushing)

4-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
1 pkg. SURE-JELL Fruit Pectin (yellow box)

1.  Rinse 6 clean (1-cup) (or 3 clean 2-cup) plastic containers and lids with boiling water (or wash in top rack of dishwasher). Dry thoroughly. Mix fruit in large bowl. Stir in sugar. Let stand 10 min., stirring occasionally. 

2.  Mix water and pectin in small saucepan. Bring to boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1 min. Add to fruit mixture; stir for 3 min. (A few sugar crystals may remain.) 
   
3.  Fill all containers immediately to within 1/2 inch of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers; immediately cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 1 year. (If frozen, thaw in refrigerator before using.)    



**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: