Thursday, August 23, 2012

Maine

This summer we spent about a month in the US.  We flew into Boston first, but drove right to Maine the next day.  We only spent two days in Maine, and then went on to see other places (including Massachusetts), but I wanted to share some pics of Maine first.  Above is my very first Lobster Roll ever; it was sooo good!!  I also got some Clam Chowder from the same restaurant, but forgot to take a pic of that.  That was some of the best I've ever had.  We had another Lobster Roll the next day that wasn't nearly as good.  This one was devine!  The restaurant was Leavitt & Sons in Falmouth, Maine. 

Another good place to buy specialty foods and kitchen stuff was Stonewall Kitchen in Camden- I don't have any photos of that, and the items we bought are still in the mail, getting sent to us, but they had delicious blueberry jam, dulce de leche, mustards, dessert sauces, etc.  The man working there knew where the Azores was and had even been here before! 

A visit to Maine wouldn't be complete without buying some blueberries fresh off a blueberry farm.  We ate these right away, as we drove, and wished for more! 
We drove through a lot of quaint and picteresque villages like this one.  Actually, we stayed in the beautiful little town of Camden, Maine!  Below is the view we had as we ate our breakfast in Camden State Park, overlooking the town below.  You may want to click on the pic for a larger view- that small view doesn't really do it justice.  (We bought a bunch of berries, cheese, croissants, and milk at a local grocery store on the way). 
Of course, the beaches and ocean are beautiful in Maine.  It was hard to find public beaches though- the photo below is a private beach, I believe.

Basket Island, Maine 
We found a wonderful park- I think it was in Rockport, or maybe it was Rockland; I don't know!  There was nice parking, lots of trees and grass, a big, new playground, picnic tables, and it was right on the water!  So beautiful.  Photo below of the view. 
I loved Maine and can't wait to go back someday- lobster, blueberries, the ocean, forests, and friendly people!  The people in Maine were all super friendly.  I want to live there someday!  :)

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

2 comments:

LadyJayPee said...

Oh that lobster roll DOES look divine! I've never ever had one either.

Going to Maine and other Northeastern states is on my To-Do List.

Those photos are so inviting.

I'm intrigued by Basket Island (and worried for their safety!). :)

What a Dish! said...

I know, about Basket Island, lol! Maine reminded me of the forested, beachy areas of the Pacific NW. :)