Friday, October 5, 2012

Baked Sweet Potatoes in the Slow Cooker

Last year a cooking friend pointed out this method for making "baked" potatoes in the crock pot.  I tried it and loved it, but didn't blog about it because I didn't get a good photo.  (Maybe one day soon, though!)  It's awesome to be able to do this while at church or just being gone all day, and having a baked potato bar at home when you get back! 

Well, my husband loves sweet potatoes.  LOVES THEM!  So does my baby boy.  I hardly ever make them, though, but want to more often.  I had an "aha!" moment a few weeks ago, thinking of doing the crock pot method for sweet potatoes.  (I can be a little slow... like a year slow).  You can even do half regular, half sweet potatoes in the same crockpot, if there are not a lot of sweet potato fans in your house.  I'm very happy to report that this method works wonderfully for sweet potatoes.  Now I'll (hopefully) be making them a little more often. 

Depending on the size of your sweet taters, you may have to cook them quite a while (some are huge!)  To test for doneness, just unwrap the foil and stick a fork in one.  :)  If the fork goes in easily, it's done.

Baked Sweet Potatoes in the Slow Cooker
adapted from Skip to my Lou

sweet potatoes
foil

1.  Wash your sweet potatoes.  Dry off, but they don't have to be totally dry.  Prick them a few times with a fork (not sure if this is needed, but I did it anyway).  Wrap each potato in foil.  Place in the crock pot.  Cook on low about 8 hours, or until potatoes are tender when (unwrapped) and pierced with a fork.  Start checking at around 5-6 hours the first time you make these.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment: