Monday, December 17, 2012

Slow Cooker Eggnog Steel-Cut Oatmeal


oatsW
After the tragic events of last Friday, I've been spending even more quality time with my babies.  We had a wonderful warm and cozy homemade pizza party on Saturday night with a movie.  (I majorly burned my hand on a hot cast-iron skillet, but I'm happy to say that it's much better now.)  We went Christmas shopping together as a family.  I made sure to give them multiple hugs and "I Love You's" before sending them off to school today.  We talked with them about what to do in scary situations where they may be away from us.  I even accompanied my 6-year old into the bathroom (he is really scared to be in the bathroom alone, for some reason) for multiple drinks of water and didn't complain.  I realize I complain entirely too much about doing things like that and I need to do better. 

Even though I am so sad about what happened, I'm still trying to find ways to enjoy life and be happy.  I've been listening to this new-ish, upbeat song by Keane and really love it. 

Onto this heart-warming recipe:  this is a warm and comforting oatmeal that any eggnog-person should love; if they also love oatmeal, that is!  My kids aren't huge oatmeal fans so my husband and I ate this for breakfast.  Actually, I made this the day before my husband's birthday so he could eat it for his birthday breakfast.  Like other slow cooker oatmeals, I made this during the day, stuck it in the fridge, and then warmed up individual servings each morning. 
oats1W
Other steel-cut slow cooker oatmeal recipes: Peaches & Cream and Pumpkin (or Sweet Potato).  I also have a Dulce de Leche version ready to blog about, some other time.  And I want to try an Apple-Cinnamon version that another cooking friend made.  :) 

Slow Cooker Eggnog Steel-Cut Oatmeal
by What a Dish!

1 cup steel-cut oats
1 cup eggnog
1 can (12oz) evaporated milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup almond milk (or cow's milk)
1/4-1/2 teaspoon rum extract, to taste
1/4-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, to taste
1 Tablespoon vanilla sugar (or regular sugar + some vanilla extract)
pinch salt

1.  Spray the inside of crock pot with non-stick spray.  In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together.  Pour into crock pot, and cook on low for 4-5 hours, or until oats are done, liquid is absorbed, and mixture is creamy.  Taste and add additional rum extract or nutmeg.

2.  Store in the fridge, covered, and microwave individual servings as needed.  Serve drizzled with eggnog and fresh-grated nutmeg.  :) 

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **


No comments: