Friday, March 8, 2013

Creamy Garlic Pasta

Creamy Garlic Pasta
This pasta was delicious, quick, easy and flavorful!  The whole family devoured it and wanted more, even my pickiest.  For that reason, I wish I could make it all the time, but I try not to use heavy cream too often in cooking.  (Homemade ice cream is a different matter!)  This dish is similar to an Alfredo sauce, but the pasta is boiled in chicken broth, which I think is genius- it adds so much flavor and makes the cream go a lot further.  I used 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese instead of the full cup, and it was still so good. 

It was hard for me to get a good pic of this because right when I went to take this photo, our landlord came over and was fixing our dining room light, which was awkward because the dining room is where I take my photos.  I don't like people outside of fam seeing me take food pics in my home because I take like 40, lol. 

**I've updated the instructions to let this dish sit about 10 minutes after cooking and before serving, or it might look like a soup. The pasta needs time to absorb the liquid. I always start this before I make everything else so it has time to sit while everything else cooks.**

PS:  A friend of mine tried this recipe using milk instead of cream, and said it still turned out very well for her.  I made this a few days ago, and doubled the recipe.  I used half cream and half 1% milk, and it was still awesome; couldn't even tell the difference.  Next time, I will do all milk (I think I'll add a touch less of it than 3/4 cup.)  I'll come back and update again when I do.

Creamy Garlic Pasta
adapted from The Cheese Pusher

2 tsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp butter
salt, to taste (I didn't add any because of other salty ingredients)
½ tsp pepper
3 cups chicken stock
½ lb spaghetti or angel hair pasta
2/3 cup-1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
¾ cup heavy cream (can use part milk)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

1.  In a pot, bring the olive oil to medium-low heat. Add the garlic and stir, allowing it to cook for 1-2 minutes. Mix in the butter until melted. Add the salt (optional), pepper and chicken stock. Raise the heat to high and let it come to a boil.
2.  Once it is at a rolling boil, add the pasta and cook for as long as the box’s directions indicate.  Do not drain.  Reduce the stove to medium heat and mix in the Parmesan until completely melted. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream and parsley. Let sit about 10 minutes for the pasta to absorb the liquid. Stir again before serving. 
Parmesan Pasta
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**

2 comments:

Linda said...

I made this for Randy tonight (with just a couple adjustments) and he loved it!

What a Dish! said...

Great! I need to make it again because all of my kids actually loved it and ate it, lol.