Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Breakfast Week: Homemade Maple-Honey Syrup

Homemade Maple Syrup
I have my own recipe for homemade maple syrup, which I make quite often, but I was intrigued by this Mel's Kitchen Cafe recipe using honey.  It also makes a lot more than my tiny recipe.  I actually cut this in half and it still makes a ton!  I still love real maple syrup, but with us eating more hot breakfasts requiring syrup, I can't keep up with buying it all the time- that stuff is expensive! 

Besides cutting the recipe in half, I added a touch more water.  I just had imitation maple extract on hand, not pure maple extract, and I would add more next time (like at least one tablespoon).  Maybe the pure stuff is stronger- mine could have used more maple flavor.

Enjoy this with pancakes and waffles.  :)  Or drizzle some over oatmeal

Homemade Maple Syrup
Homemade Maple-Honey Syrup
adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon maple extract (add more to taste, if desired)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1.  In a large pot, combine the sugars, honey and water. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to low so the mixture gently simmers. Cover the pot and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes.  (I only had about 5-7 minutes to simmer and it was fine.)
2.  Remove from the heat and add the maple and vanilla extracts.  If storing in the fridge for later, let cool completely before pouring into containers and refrigerating.  This will store up to two months, covered, in the refrigerator.  (Recipe above is a half-version of the original... double for even more syrup.)
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: