Friday, April 19, 2013

Breakfast Week: Maple & Brown Sugar Slow Cooker Steel-Cut Oatmeal

Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal
Here's another slow cooker steel-cut oatmeal recipe, and another idea for mid-week breakfast!  I took the "formula" of one cup oats, 4 cups liquid, plus any sweeteners/spices, and cooked this in my slow cooker on Low for 5 hours, getting inspiration from Mel's Kitchen Cafe again.  I actually think this may be my fave oatmeal out of the other 6 similar recipes I've made.  I used one can of evaporated milk, and just water for the rest of the liquid.  This makes it extra creamy.  You can try reduced-fat evap. milk if you want to cut down on fat/calories.  Since I liked this one so much, and so did my daughter and husband, this was gone in one morning.  Maybe it's time to start doubling the batch!
Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal
One thing I've been doing lately, to make our morning oatmeal even healthier, is to make it easier to add mix-ins like chia seeds (good source of Omega-3's and fiber) and ground flax seeds.  I used two clean spice containers and filled each with either chia or flax, then labeled them.  I took the shaker top out, because they are too big to fit through.  This makes it easy to just shake out some onto our oatmeal each day, and it's a good way for me to remember to use this stuff.
Chia & Flaxseed for Oatmeal
Maple & Brown Sugar Slow Cooker Steel-Cut Oatmeal
adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe and other sources

1 cup steel cut oats
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk, plus enough water to bring liquid to 4 cups
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or homemade)
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1.  Lightly coat the inside of a small (2-3 quart) slow cooker with cooking spray. Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker and stir. Cook for 4-5 hours on low. Stir thoroughly before serving with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.

2.  If not serving immediately, cool and refrigerate, covered.  In the mornings, place portions in micro-wave safe bowls and microwave for 3-5 minutes, or until hot.  Serve with dairy or almond milk, fresh fruit and/or frozen berries, and flax and chia seeds, if desired, and a dash of extra cinnamon.
Chia & Flaxseed for Oatmeal
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: