Monday, September 15, 2014

Mini Caprese Salads

We're trying to eat as much Caprese Salad as we can before really good tomatoes are out of season. The tomatoes are SO good here; especially these large grape tomatoes.  I've seen appetizers like this, with tiny fresh mozzarella balls, grape or cherry tomatoes, and basil on a toothpick to form tiny Caprese Salads, so I made this for us a few days ago.  Here in Italy, one can buy balsamic vinegar already reduced, which is the coolest thing ever; I love it.  Every time I've tried to make balsamic reduction, I always have to do it twice, because I always burn the first round, and burnt vinegar is so, so stinky.
Mini Caprese Salads
adapted from Cooking with Lucas

Grape or cherry tomatoes
Mini fresh mozzarella balls
Small fresh basil leaves
Good olive oil
Balsamic vinegar, or thick Balsamic reduction
salt and pepper, to taste

1.  Using toothpicks, skewer a tomato, mozzarella ball, and a basil leaf in rows on each toothpick.  Lay out on a platter, and drizzle olive oil and balsamic reduction or vinegar over.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.  Serve.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

2 comments:

Taste of Beirut said...

I love this dish! It is so simple yet packed with flavor. It is also visually quite beautiful.

What a Dish! said...

Thanks!